Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Overnight Rolls...


Cinnamon Rolls
Originally uploaded by scarlettvr

So, I've decided that I need to start blogging again, as I've been baking and cooking like crazy and taking pictures, but really have nowhere to put them except on my Flickr account. It's much more fun to post about them here.

J and I have a ritual of going to Barnes and Noble for date night and read magazines, food for me and cars for him. Unfortunately, that night we had to go through the food court which of course has the ever mesmerizing. I had to all but drag J away from there, as that was all he wanted and all he talked about all night. I made a deal with him, instead of buying one of those gut bombs that are oh so tasty but horrible for you, I'd make him some instead. He readily agreed, as he prefers my cooking to most resturaunts. But after all of our stops, including a stop at Starbucks to watch the cruisers, it was pretty late.
Luckily, I found a good recipe on allrecipes.com that allowed me to make them the night before (well, a couple hours before) and refrigerate them. They turned out so yummy, even better with cream cheese frosting. Plus they were super easy to make and I like that I can make them the night before and pull them out a half hour before baking them.

CLONE OF A CINNABON
from allrecipes.com

1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup margarine, melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon ( I used more like 2 tablespoons)
1/3 cup butter, softened
(I also added a teaspoon of nutmeg)

1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
-Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. ( I do not have a bread machine, I just mixed them together like I would bread and they came out fine.) In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
-Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Cover. ( At this point, I put them in the fridge)
-Pull your rolls out 30 minutes before baking. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 22-25 minutes.
-Make frosting and cover while still warm.

No comments: